• question-icon

What causes cracking sound after hip replacement surgery?

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a hip replacement 2 years ago. now when I walk, i have this cracking sound. any ideas? thanks
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible beginning of mild osteoarthritis of the joint.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic,
I read your question carefully and I can understand your concern.

It happens commonly, the greater risk for osteoarthritis after the hip replacement. The cracking sound might be the beginning of it.

If you are overweight it is very important to lose some. The less weight your hip bears, the better.

Also, when you get tired of walking, stop and rest. Overusing the joint increases the inflammation and might make it worse.

If it gets painful at some point, you may use a stick to help you walk and leave less weight to that joint.

Keep track of the range of motion. If at any point you start having the difficulty of walking and the range of motion decreases, then see a physical therapist who can help you with that.
If you are not already taking, I would suggest supplements of Calcium and Vit D3.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a specialist(Orthopedician) for a thorough check-up of the joint.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Klarida Papaqako