What causes cracking of skin on fingers?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have intermitant cracking of the sin on my fingers. The skin has thickened somewhat and the cracking is mostly confined to my right index finger a n middle finger. The cracks heal but then reappear, usually in a different spot. I use dove soap. At night I alternate using fluocinonide cream, an aloe lotion, Cerave cream the aloe lotion, then on the fifth night I start the series again. The problem is with me all year long. I do wash in pretty hot water. Any suggestions? Thanks for any advice.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Contact dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Probably you have developed contact dermatitis.
It is a type of allergic reaction to soaps.
Washing soap is one of the commonest cause and can be the causative factor in your case.
I would like to know whether you are using washing soap or detergents?
Medication prescribed to you is good but it's important to remove the causative factor for permanent cure.
Keep your hand moist with moisturisers.
Let me know if you have any other doubt.
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist