What causes cracking of joints?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I was hit from behind in a motor vehicle accident in april of this year, I suffered tearing/whiplash to the neck, disc herniation to my cervical and lumbar spine. I have been having pain to the upper middle back- my doctor said I do not need to do another MRI, although I am doing physio ie: tenns and ultrasound I am still experiencing this pain which has reduced from a 10 to a 6. on top of all that's going on my joints have been cracking a month after the accident this includes the joint in my toes, my upper and lower back , in my shoulders, in my neck and joint between my torso and my thighs. please help me
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to a decrease in the joint lubricants.

Detailed Answer:
The crackling of the joints that you are having is not related to the spine injury. This is likely to be due to a decrease in the joint lubricants.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and physiotherapy.You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises.
For the persistent pain in the spine you can also get muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal