What causes coughing up of mucus with blood in it?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
I am coughing up increasing amounts of blood for two days with thick yellow mucus. How can I determine if it is broncitus. I had slight irritation and coughing before this bad cold then it came on hard after Christmas. Also had a cold with cough about a month ago I have body ache, headache,no chills, been doing home remedy’s including musinex and ib.
Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to get done chest x ray and PFT.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
You are having cough, hemoptysis (blood in sputum).
These symptoms are commonly seen with lower respiratory tract infection (LRTI - pneumonia) and bronchitis.
And both these are common after viral upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) like common cold.
So get done chest x ray and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).
Chest x ray is needed to rule out pneumonia.
PFT is must for the diagnosis of bronchitis.
You may need antibiotics and inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone) based on the reports.
Please let me know if you are a smoker.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.