What causes coughing up green phlegm?
Green sputum indicates bacterial infection...
Thanks for posting the query
Greenish sputum indicates bacterial infection. You may be having infection of lower respiratory tract. It would be wiser to start on the antibiotics. The bacteria which comes out during cough may spread to others in house.
I would suggest you to consult your doctor and get a prescription for antibiotics. Also, you need to follow the below mentioned measures.
1. Drink plenty of warm water.
2. Do steam inhalation 2-3 times a day for 2-3 minutes.
3. Try taking mucolytic such as ambroxol or bromhexine (available over the counter in some countries).
4. Avoid chilled food and beverages/coffee/fizzy drinks.
Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes a dry cough
- What cause white fibrous phlegm in the initial cough
- What causes coughing at night
- Phlegm blood in cough what could be the cause
- Cause for choking cough with phlegm
- Cough with black phlegm what are the possible causes
- What causes cough attacks
- What causes yellow phlegm while coughing
- What causes a chesty cough
- What causes chest pain and coughing of phlegm