What causes coughing of small dots of blood

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Sat, 23 May 2015 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: am coughing small dots of blood which does not seem to be coming out from my mouth by rather from throat, cos i can feel a bit of tension in different part of my frontal part of throat on and off from last 3 week approx. i have been smoking cigarettes for past 8 year less than 3-4 light cigarettes a day XXXXXXX rough idea. i started smoking in at the age of 24 and now am 31 yrs old. i don't have any difficulty swallowing or drinking but i on and off singing and my job requires me to speak 5 hours out of 9 hours. i firstly notice this after i had drunk alcohol and i observed it for a couple of times but i quit for a weeks time and did not smoke at all and i perhaps didnot notice any blood instances but again i started and i found that more i try to spit out deeply a little blood spots with spit(not mucus) start coming out but when i just gargle i dont see any blood. Please let me know if i can save my self or not. thanks

one more thing, i am having a little bit gastric problems as well, kinda pain on the left hand side just below the rib in the back or sometime in the front part of the right lib and other times some sensation in the chest, but more often in the back somewhere in bottom left of the back which i guess as gas. do i have to go through some kinda expensive tests to find out what i am developing inside. or is it just an infection in my throat that i need to fix by quitting smoking for life time. which i am even more willing and motivated than before. i have tried so far and quit several times even for 3 months in one of my trials but got back to it again...
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This could be due to infection or dryness of throat, consider guidelines

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I share your concern
Coughing out of blood is always a matter of worry, I see patients with this problem in my clinic routinely and I will help you out in bets possible way

As per your history, This could be due to
infection (either bacterial or viral),
dryness of throat due to talking for long hours,
Tuberculosis (TB) or lung cancer are other rare possibility

I would like to know if you are running fever or if you have history of weight loss

In absence of these factors you need not to worry, please follow these guidelines for a while until you can get an appointment with your doctor for detailed check up and a course of antibiotics if need be.
Quit smoking completely
You can do gargling with antiseptic mouth wash or warm saline water
Take a break and sips of water in between while talking
Multivitamin supplements

Your second problem could be related to Aerophagia (swallowing of air) or acid peptic disease like gastritis which is very comon with smoking
So whenever you visit a doctor, ask for an ultrasound abdomen and an endoscopy if need arises.

Meanwhile I would advise you to following
Avoid fatty fried spicy and junk food or carbonated drinks
Have lots of fluids, fresh fruits and vegetables
You can take anti acidity medicines like Pantoprazole or Rabeprazole with antacids for immediate relief
You can take take lemon water as a home remedy

Hope this answers your question and you will find it helpful.
Thanks for posting your query
Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. BR Hudda 1 hour later
That's a big relief!! Thanks for your detailed reply to my concerns.
I don't have any fever or don't feel any kinda weight loss though if there has been any weight loss then it's not much visible to me cos i have not tracked my weight for months now. could you please suggest links to or list of easily accessible, in budget foods that can help reverse or recover my health from smoking related damages that i have made in these many years...I'm on cold turkey to quit smoking for last 48 hours now and having withdrawal symptoms. One of them is having panic, worried a lot thinking about what i have done to my body and fears of getting smoking related painful death. My father had asthma and died at the age of 65, my mother is all good at the age of 74 but with a bit problem with gastric sometimes and cough and cold infections which goes with delay if happens sometime with season change. I have been a light smoker, not more than 5 cigarettes every(for 8-9 years max) and during which i quit cold turkey 4-5 times for weeks. I am the youngest and i have 2 elder brothers and sister and all are having healthy life and are non smokers, for last 8 years we are in a XXXXXXX came in here at age 23 from a small less polluted town in XXXXXXX
Please help me with pointer to better my health and minimize risks of catching any smoking related deadly diseases if possible. Even though i know what needs to be done to better my health if i use my common sense. but still how much would it be helpful if i just quit smoking and my diet is still not very much nutritive? Please help!
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please consider these guidelines

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your reply
You can very easily quit smoking, Have a strong dedication and self motivation
Since you are in XXXXXXX I would advise you to get an X ray chest and blood tests like blood for hemoglobin CBC and ESR and sputum microscopy and culture.

You may require a course of antibiotics with supportive care for haemoptysis (coughing out of blood) under supervision of your doctor

You can take nicotine gums or transdermal patches for craving for smoking
Don't keep cigarettes with you
Have a glass of juice whenever you have craving for smoking
Always be cheerful and enjoy your life
This is the age you can very easily quit smoking
All the best