What causes coughing of blood?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Fri, 16 Jan 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: i spit small blood and have 19.9 rbc count in my urine test as per XXXXXXX test standards
should i worry do i have cancer?

i spit blood when i try to cough out, not severly, n i feel bit pain under my left rib while i getsome pressure on it

plz answer , i m worried? what are my next steps, what cab be worse scenario?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need not worry

Detailed Answer:

I apologize for the delay in my response.

Need not worry, there are many other simple causes besides cancer for blood in spit.

Please provide me some more details, considering which I can provide a opinion.

Since when did you see blood in spit ?
Is blood in seen every time you spit out?
Do you have cough or breathlessness ?
Do you see any bleeding points in the oral cavity ?
Have you lost weight recently ?
Do you have the entire blood report with you, if so please attach it here.

Waiting for the information,

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
No symptoms except small blood.. for two weeks almost.
very small quantity , earlier used to b in morning and now in day as well almost 4-5 times a day..
I had lung xray and it came ok..
only rbc count is high in urine.

lost appetite may b due to worries. ..

and i dont spit blood with every spit, total 3-4 times a day... when i try to cough it is clean for first two time and then a small quantity..
Myblood report shows ok(though RBC count is little less than below range and and bit wide RBC) .. Just RBC (blood) in urine 19 mg after urine test.

Also, weight loss is 1 kg XXXXXXX .
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could not be cancer

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the information.

Based on the history provided I could opine that it can not be due to cancer.

Most common cause for such a presentation is either Vit C deficiency or low platelet count. Please take Vit C supplements anyway even when not confirmed but do get the platelet count test done. If low need to be treated as there can be chances of worsening.

regards,