What causes coughing and breathing difficulty when suffering from cold?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: my wife when gets cold, she starts coughing and have problem in breathing,she complains like her chest is jam. In common there should not be breathing problem
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your wife seems to be having reactive airways syndrome

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXXXXX

Your wife seems to be having reactive airways syndrome. Does she also have allergy to dust and smoke or any thing that she has observed? In this condition, an attack of cold can trigger the airways which go into spasm and can cause cough and breathlessness.

To control breathlessness and bouts of cough she can take inhalers like duolin for immediate relief and seroflo for long term relief. She should also take antiallergics like montair lc.

Yes, a bout of cold can trigger these symptoms so one must be careful. She should also avoid dust and smoke. Banana, curd or any other eatable should only be avoided if she is allergic to them and develops above symptoms otherwise she can eat anything.

Yes she should avoid very cold water, junk food and artificial colours, sweetening agents, flavours etc which are found in junk food and juices.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will be happy to help.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
She gets some sneezes when inhales dust , not very much but she can't tolerate smell of phenyl,kerosene oil,mosquito killer spray (hit etc).She feels as if her throat becomes dry after smelling these things.
what are the precautions she should take?
she is not allergic to banana and curd
please suggest some medicines and long term solution
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
From your inputs, its clear that she has allergy.

Detailed Answer:

From your inputs, its clear that she has allergy and the symptoms are suggestive of that.

She should try and avoid all those things that she is allergic to.

I`ve already mentioned the remedies, both short term and long term, above. Pl follow them. For nasal allergy she can take flixonase nasal spray.

If she is not allergic to banana and curd, she can take them.