What causes cough with yellow sputum and fever?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: XXXXXXX has had a cold for 4 days. The past two nights he has had a fever, chills and coughing with yellow sputum. He wants to go to work and not see a doctor. I am concerned about that for many reasons.

Do you have advice or something else we should be considering? During the day he is very, tired with a cough. Fever and chills at night. Thanks very much
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Respiratory infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Cough with yellow sputum and fever is most likely to be a lower respiratory infection like bronchitis or pneumonitis.
It is likely to be bacterial and he would require an antibiotic for a fast and complete cure of his illness. Since antibiotics are prescription medication it would be better for him to see a doctor, get himself examine and tested. The doctor will give him an appropriate antibiotic and he will get well soon. If it is only a bronchitis he would be able to work and not take leave while taking the medicines.
Do get back to me with further queries and an update of his illness.

Best wishes,