What causes cough, intermittent hoarseness and pain along with several bumps on the tongue

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 22 Nov 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX I have been hoarse on and off for about six months. In the past month I developed pain in my tongue that comes and goes, last week I noticed I had one large and several small bumps on the left side of my tongue in the back of my tongue and this week I'm coughing feeling like i have something stuck in my throat. I went to the dentist who told me to gargle with saline water and if it still is there in two to three weeks go see an oral surgeon who will biopsy it. That seems like a long time. What might it be? Should I go see the oral surgeon sooner?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try Pantoprazole!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed this information fully. This is suggestive of a possible acid reflux problem. Biopsy seems too aggressive at this point because no cancer develops over such a short period. Besides, cancer wouldn’t cause on/off hoarse voice as the lesion is either stable or grows worse.

I recommend Pantoprazole twice daily for 14 days. If this doesn’t get better, see an ENT specialist. Let them examine you first before hastening up to a biopsy then.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Dr. Chobufo Ditah,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D