• question-icon

What causes cough in an infant while on Sinarest and Kofarest?

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor.my 2.5months infant had cough and cold and was on medication till last Friday.he is quite ok now.has occasional sneezes and cough. Medicines included sinarest, koffarest and antibiotics,all in form of drops.since three days he is not taking his feed neither from me nor formula...neither from bottle nor from spoon..we also tried to feed him through dropper..what might be the reason?? Really tensed. I give him neopeptine drops daily. His birth weight was 3.5 kg and until last week weighed 5kgs..please advice
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try to feed him frequently, don't worry if there is no other problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern. Sometimes appetite gets decreased during recovery from illness.
I won't get overly worried if baby is otherwise active, playing well,passing urine and other symptoms of cough/cold has decreased.
It may take 3-5 days to regain the appetite.
Just try to feed him frequently and observe for any abnormal symptoms like getting lethargy, decreased urinary frequency or worsening of cough/cold.
If you notice any please consult your pediatrician.
I hope within one or two days baby will start accepting feeds well.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 3 days later
dear doctor it's been three days,his situation has not improved.he hardly has 8-10 oz of milk.please advice
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please get him evaluated by a pediatrician

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

Sometimes it takes longer to completely recover from the illness and the appetite to get normal.
I still won't get worried if there is no vomiting/regurgitation of feed, baby is passing urine, is active and playful.
As it has been more than 3 days I would request you to consult your pediatrician for thorough clinical evaluation to rule out underlying cause like oral thrush, swallowing problem etc.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology