What causes cough, distaste in the mouth and phlegm in the throat?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My husband has had a cough that has been very frequent and a lot of phlem in his throat. This has reocurred several times in the last few months. It seems to clear up, but soon is back again. He also seems to fatique easily, especially in the heat. Also he has had an unpleasant taste in his mouth for about the last month or so. He has seen the doctor twice and an inhaler gave some relief for awhile. But he has had the same thing happen again and in general just hasn't felt well. He takes , and simv vitamin D, levothyroxin and simvastin. The cough could be a contagious symptom and several of our family have had reoccuring bad coughs that are very persistent.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do the following examinations

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern

As you explain the history and according to his age it would be better for him for this kind of cough that except the lungs ,the heart and the stomach to be examined.

I believe he has already done a Spirometry test with bronchodilators and a chest X Ray for lung problems which are the first that should be excluded.

Than an ECG and an Echocardiogram for the heart should be done.

If the are negative than stomach evaluation is the next step.

Please discuss with his doctor for the above and after having the results the relevant specialists will advise him further for the treatment and follow up if needed.

Take care and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist