• question-icon

What causes cough and cold when diagnosed with anxiety?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: For about the past 2 years, on and off I have had periods of a persistent cough. This cough is never associated with having a cold or flue. It seems to be a dry chest cough and is typically worse following exercise. It does however exist when I have not exercised. I have dealt with anxiety and panic attacks the past few years and am wondering if this would be a typical symptom or if I should be more concerned that it is something to do with irritation in my lungs? I have never had issues with this before and have played sports and have always been active my whole life. Should I be concerned? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!I have also had blood tests performed in the past year with no issues brought to my attention.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
exclude alergic asthma

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HCM

I can understand your concern

I have gone carefully through your history

If you were my patient i would recommend you to do some tests to exclude alergic asthma as follows :

Specific IgE
Pneumoalergens
Spirometry with bronchodilatators

If they come negative than the next step is the Methacoline test

If it is negative too than asthma is excluded and you should go on with your current treatment.

Please discuss with your doctor for the above and when having the results you can attach me and i will help you again

Take care and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist