• question-icon

What causes cough and cold in a child?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 3 years and 7 month old son presently suffering from Cough and cold. It looks cough dried up in chest. Doctor advised for syrup levolin-5ml for 3 days after 8 hours. Kindly give your advise. He is also diagnosed with ASD, ADHD.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation is the mainstay of treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion. Just sit with your child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops in case of nose block.

The treatment of ADHD needs to be done by consulting a psychologist as well as a psychiatrist. ASD might not need immediate treatment but your cardiologist would be able to guide properly.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 15 hours later
I think you are talking about Nebulization.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They are similar

Detailed Answer:
Steam inhalation is technically identical to saline nebulization. In case of nebulization you have the additional scope of giving some bronchodilator medication (like levolin) along.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician