• question-icon

What causes cough along with metallic tasting phlegm in the throat?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had cough with metallic tasting phlegm for 8 weeks. Started out much worse than it is now, but hasn't yet gone away. No fever, generally feel ok. Could this be from a virus?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
would have likely started as a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It likely started as a viral infection but most viral infections do not persist for this period of time.
There is a condition called post viral cough/post infectious cough. It refers to a cough that follows a recent infection (likely viral) of the respiratory tract.

The exact reason behind post viral/infectious cough is not known. It may be due to lingering inflammation or sensitivity of the respiratory tract.

In some persons the use of an anti histamine decongestant combination is helpful. This reduces the secretions to the back of the throat that maybe stimulating the cough.
This combination would be present in most over the counter cough/cold or allergy medication.

In many cases, the symptoms just disappear in time on their own especially since you note that they are decreasing

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James