• question-icon

What causes cough along with blood-tinged sputum when diagnosed with atypical pneumonia?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hello, after a week of running a low fever and having a dry cough with fatigue, my doctor did a chest x-ray that came back showing asthma which I already knew i had. He eventually diagnosed me with atypical pneumonia and put me on azithromycin. But today I started coughing up blood in in my sputum. Is that normal with atypical pneumonia?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, some hemoptysis is normal in atypical pneumonia.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
You are having hemoptysis (blood in sputum).
Some amount of hemoptysis is common in atypical pneumonia. So no need to worry much.
But if hemoptysis is increasing in amount or in frequency or you develop high grade fever then you should consult your doctor.
Continue azithromycin, do warm water gargles 5-6 times a day, drink plenty of fluids orally.
Don't worry, you will be alright with all these.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist