Owl Image

What causes cough after having methotrexate?

Owl Image
Dr. Karen Steinberg

Question
I have RA taking Methroxate,, was told to take 2 folic acid pills every day, to prevent side effects to medicine,, doing good ---except coughing and nose running and bleeding better than it has been , but still get goughing spells could this be be from med I'm taking or folic acid?
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be from methotrexate

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcare Magic. Folic acid is a vitamin that is needed for the proper formation of blood cells. Methotrexate can interfere with it so supplements are recommended. Folic acid is not likely to be causing your cough.

Methotrexate can cause damage (fibrosis or scarring) to the lungs in some people. This needs to be evaluated promptly. Inform your doctor of your cough and get a workup initiated. This might consist of chest x-ray or other imaging studies of your lungs, and breathing tests. But don't stop taking the methotrexate until you talk to your doctor and get the workup. It could be something else causing the cough. If it is the methotrexate then it will be stopped and another medicine tried.

Get seen right away. The damage from methotrexate is progressive, so if it is this medicine causing the problem, you'll want to know right away so you can stop any further damage from occurring.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.