What causes cough after eating, weakness and fatigue post recovery from bacterial pneumonia?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hello I had bacterial pneumonia spent 10 days in the hospital being treated they said my lower left rib became deflated. I have been home for 2 weeks and use a inhaler and neutralizer . I cough after I eat , i very week, and tired they said at the hospital it would take a long time to recover . Saw my PC doctor he gave me the inhaler but the coughing is terrible and i try to bring up pl elm. All the ct csan said i had pneumonia the food xray said i was fine but I know im not fine Help
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of post infectious bronchitis is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, possibility of post infectious bronchitis is more.
Bronchitis is inflammation of airways and this is common after pneumonia.
Treatment of bronchitis should be based on severity only. And to know the severity, PFT (pulmonary function test) is must.
So please let me know
1. Have you ever undergone PFT?
2. Do you smoke?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 13 hours later
My primary care doctor saw me about two weeks after i spent 10 days in the hospital. He gave me an inhaler simbicore . I spoke to him last night and he is having me take another chest ex ray. I'm surprised since he is a well known doctor at Mass General Hospital in XXXXXXX MA. Why has he not had me do a PFT I can not eat any thing other then liquid and soups. I don't nor have I ever smoked.My energy level is low and motivation is gone. I own my own company and my staff are running the buisness. What do I do ? Should i email my doctor and ask for him to have me see a Pulmonologist or is hge going to get upset
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should definitely demand for pulmonologist consultation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, you should definitely consult pulmonologist and get done
1. Clinical examination of respiratory system
2. PFT
3. Chest x ray
4. CT thorax if required.
You need accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment for faster recovery.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Hello and thank you very much for your advice. My doctor is having me go for a chest x ray . I had one done about 3 weeks ogo when I was admitted into the hospital with pneumonia . I have been testing when i bring up p helm and cough. Today it seems that when I do not eat any thing solid I stop coughing as today I only had liquids tea, soup no solids . I'm hungry with some sushi my daughter got lass night but am afraid to eat it for the fear that I will go into the coughing fit. What do you think. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Well I'm this case, we should rule out aspiration pneumonia.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Well coughing while eating solid food is commonly seen aspiration and this causes aspiration pneumonia.
So we should rule out aspiration reflux in your case.
It is commonly seen with neurological diseases.
So please let me know
1. Do you have any neurological disease?
2. Since how many days you are having this symptom, coughing on eating solid food?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Hello . to let you know I have reflux and have been taking prescription medicine for at least the past 8 to 10 years , I also have sleep apnia and use a Cpap and have for over ten years. I have Nerropathay which cause my toes to get num and burn I take Neurotin 3600mg a day. My staff at work said they noticed for the last 3 to 4 months that while I was having lunch with them that I would cough while I was eating by the way I eat fast.Just to let you know while in the hospital with pneumonia they said that I was aspirating with pneumonia . Now I might have said earlier in our conversations that I had bacterial pneumonia I could bee wrong . As to eating then coughing on solid foods a week before I went into the hospital which would have been XXXXXXX 25 i went into the hospital on XXXXXXX 30 and came out of the hospital around july12 and have been home resting as I was told that it may take some time to get my energy level back to where it was this could take a month if not more.For the first week home I had no energy lack of intelligence , slow speaking saw my primary care doctor the second week out of the hospital which was on July 26 and told him that I was not feeling well they took blood tests and had me come back the next week and put me on Symbicort. So when it comes down to it it has been two weeks i down to it I guess 2 weeks this coughing after i have eaten solid foods about 1 to 2 hours latter the coughing begins and I bring up some white phelm and the coughing continues until i struggle to get the phelm up. I hope this is what you were looking for. Thanks from XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should definitely consult pulmonologist and get done PFT.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Yes, now things are more clear.
Possibility of aspiration pneumonia is more in your case.
And so you should definitely consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system, chest x and PFT (pulmonary function test).
Along with symbicort, you will be more benefitted by mucolytic, expectorant drugs like N acetyl cysteine, bromhexine, guaphenesine etc.
Hope I have solved your query.
Wish you good health. Thanks.