Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
198 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes cottage cheese-like vaginal discharge after intercourse?

Answered by
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar


Practicing since :1992

Answered : 2204 Questions

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi. I am newly married and I am trying for baby.I had cottage cheese like(curd like)discharge after intercourse. Is it sign of infertile?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
R vaginal discharge. Lifestyle changes Follow fertile days.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar here. I welcome you to HCM VIRTUAL CLINIC. I have gone through your question, and I think I have understood your concern. I will suggest you the best ppossible treatment options.

1 ) First of all do not panic.

2 ) The curd like discharge that you are talking about can be some kind of vaginal infection and it can not be taken as sign of infertility.

3 ) In a woman with regular cycles day 10 to 20 of the cycle is the most fertile period of cycle. If you have unprotected sex act, during this period at least on alternate days, the chances of getting pregnant are high.

4 ) I will suggest you to get gynec check up done with per speculum and per vaginal examination. This will help to know the cause of discharge.
Most of the times such discharge needs treatment with oral and vaginal anti fungal agents.

You can seek prescription for Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg twice a week for 2 weeks and a vaginal tablets containing Clindamycin and Clotrimazoke and Lactic acid containing vaginal wash for daily use at bath time from your treating doctor.

5 ) I usually suggest to my patients who wish to conceive as follows -
A . Please indulge in a healthy diet and regular exercise regimen.
B . Include more portions of fruits , salads and vegetables in daily diet. Drink plenty of water in the day.
C. Avoid deep fried foods, bakery products and refined sugars. Avoid substance abuse if any.
D. Strat taking Vitamin B 12, Folic acid and Omega 3 supplements at least 3 months before you plan to get pregnant.

All this helps to prevent many problems during pregnancy and have safe and healthy pregnancy.

6) If you want you can get husband's semen analysis done with abstinence of 3 days to know about sperm count and mobility.

You can simply get your USG done to confirm normalcy of your uterus and tubes and ovaries.

Also, to assess tubal patency, X ray test called Hysterosalpingography can be done .

But I will suggest you to go ahead with treatment of vaginal discharge.
Then opt for lifestyle changes and follow sex act advice during fertile period .

Please do not worry.
All things will be fine in the due course of time.
May God bless you.

I hope this answer helps you.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 47 minutes later

Really thanks for your detailed description on my query.

Last month I had Urinary tract infection , for which my doctor suggested me to have K-mac syrup along with anti biotic tablet. But by the next week i got periods(regular cycle). Hence I am scared to go for any treatment. I am in a confusion stage whether those tablets only led to periods or do I have any problem.

And by this month also I had the same problem(UTI), but I myself managed this by drinking lots of water and taking fruits.

Could you please provide your suggestions on the above?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Drink plenty of water, Urine C?S if needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

dear XXXX, thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

Please understand that k.mac syrup or Antibiotic has no role in regulating your periods.

As you have mentioned, please continue having 2 to 2.5 liter of water every day.
This will help to prevent UTI.

If you feel that you are getting UTI repeatedly, please get urine culture and sensitivity test to know the causative organisms and the appropriate antibiotic effective against them.

I hope this answer helps you.
Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Vaginal infection

doctor1 MD

Hello, recently I have been having a lot of vaginal problems. I treated myself for Bacterial Vaginosis with some flagyl and it lead to a yeast...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I've been in and out of the doctor's office. Negative to all STD's, vaginal infections, and bladder infections. What is wrong with me? We have...

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...Just recently I have had sex, I noticed that when I urinate it burns...

doctor1 MD

I recently went to the gynecologist and was treated with antibiotics for a vaginal infection. I was also told that I could use rephresh to help...

doctor1 MD

I had my surgical abortion on may then i got 2 proper periods on time but the third period is 9 days late please help,i hv done the hcg test came...

doctor1 MD

Hi there, I’ve had white/yellowish dishcharge for a couple of days now. Itching, but no odour. I saw my Gynae today and he said it could be a yeast...

doctor1 MD

I don't believe I have an STD , recently, my vagina (don't know the proper term) but where my hole is had a lot of irritation, when I woke it hurts...