What causes copper beaten skull?
Raised intracranial pressure must be excluded.
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
Usually the inner surface of the skull is smooth. Copper beaten skull is the term used for a finding where it is not smooth but has inner markings, which correspond to the form of the brain gyri, the ridges on the outer surface of the brain, which have been compressing this inner surface of the skull creating those markings.
Now the causes can be several, any process which results in increased pressure inside the skull could cause that appearance, such as a tumor, accumulation of fluid in the brain due to blockage in its circulation from an infection or a hemorrhage, a condition called craniosynostosis (premature closure of the cranial sutures in childhood).
There is also a percentage of cases where it is seen in completely normal patients, so it could be nothing to worry about, perhaps if you said something more on your symptoms and their evolution in time, as well as past conditions I might be able to say something more.
If all you've had is a xray, further tests are necessary to search for those raised pressure causes, ideally a MRI, but a cat scan of the head with contrast is useful as well if MRI is not available.
I remain at your disposal for further questions, possibly with the additional info I mentioned above.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes dent in crown of skull
- What causes bleeding after insertion of copper iud
- What causes skull deterioration
- What causes unexplained dent in the skull
- What causes venous lakes in the skull
- What causes indentations in the skull
- What causes skull dents
- What causes ripples in skull
- What could cause a copper smell in the nose
- What causes copper colored stool
- Suggest treatment congenital fusion of l4-l5
- What causes transient ischemic attack?
- What causes tingly numbness in arm and intermittent burning sensation?
- Does epoxy lining in water pipes cause neurological symptoms?
- What causes loss of taste and smell?
- What causes memory loss?
- Does Mirapex ER have a generic drug?
- What does dizziness and chest pain along with back pain and headache...
- What causes seizures with history of arterial venevous malformations?
- What casues recurring headaches?