What causes cool sensation around a injured knee

General Surgeon
Question
My 7yr old fell yesterday on a rock and needed 4 stitches on his knee. I am noticibg today that below the knee od the injured side is cool to the touch. The otherside is warm(regular). Shoukd i b concerned?
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Accident and Emergency

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms XXXX

There is no need to be considered about. As there is no discolouration of affected limb it's unlikely to be vascular injury. There is usually vasoconstriction ( temporary closure of blood vessel supplying the skin) which occurs as reflex secondary to injury sustained. This causes the affected limb to be colder than regular regular limb.

Keep the affected limb covered appropriately.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon