What causes continuous bleeding and spotting while on the Depo shot?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 4 Jul 2014 in Women's Health
Question: My daughter received a Depo shot for birth control about 2.5 months ago. She has a follow up visit XXXXXXX 26 but is making an appointment early because she,,, 1) has had a continuous period. 2) has noticed some swelling in her groin lymph nodes. 3) is developing joint soreness especially in her shoulders. I am a RN and I am very concerned about the joint soreness and the lymph nodes. We do not live in the same town so I can only talk to her on the phone.
Thank you,
Gayle
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
AS BELOW

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Continuous bleeding and spotting while on the Depo shot is very common.
Joint soreness is a rare side effect , observed in less than 1 % of users, but yes, it is an associated side effect.
Again, lymph node enlargement is very very rarely seen, but listed in the side effects.
She can wait until her appointment to confirm that there is no other reason for the spotting and other symptoms.
A thorough pelvic exam and pelvic ultrasound scan is a must.
An alternative birth control can be prescribed, Nuvaring or the patch, is an excellent option if she is not good with remembering pills.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.