question-icon

What causes continous head bobbing of a 8 month old?

Posted on Sat, 6 Sep 2014
Question: Hello,
just in the last few days my 8 month old grandson started doing a kind of random 'head bobbing' movement.
It's sporadic and usually consists of 2-4 'bobs' of the head while he is busy playing, or chewing on a toy, pacifier, etc. while in a seated position. Since birth he has always been a very happy (Mr. Smiley) baby and continues to be that way.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Head Bobbing

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
What you are describing does not sound like anything to be concerned about. It just seems like it is part of your grandson's happy behavior.
What you can try to do, for personal reassurance, is gently hold his head the next time you see him do it. Considering he only does a few bobs at a time, I imagine you'll have to be quick. But if you are able to do it, and you can stop his head from bobbing when you hold it, that would tell us that it is a voluntary movement and of no concern. You can mention it to the pediatrician at the next scheduled visit.
If his head continues to XXXXXXX even while being held, it could be concerning. In this case, I recommend consulting with your pediatrician sooner.
Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician