What causes constipation while on pain medication in an elderly person?
As discussed in details below.
Thanks for your query.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
With the history you have noted it looks that there is development of fissure in ano due to try to push by a hard stool.
I can understand the agony you must be going through.
You have already taken Mag Citrate.
I would advise you the following in such a situation, please try these out and let me know the results:
Push 2 Glycerine suppositories per-rectally as per the instruction on the foil and see the results.
Take a Sitz bath in a tub with warm water. This will help to sooth the area.
Apply Xylocaine or Lidocaine Jelly (if available as OTC) locally to anal area.
If these things fail you can try ready-to-use enema.
Relax at the moment. Do not force too much as it will increase pain - discomfort - spasm and hence make passing of stool more difficult.
Please give feedback.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes constant abdominal pain and constipation
- What causes severe lower back pain and constipation
- Medical conditions that cause constipation
- Suggest pain medication that does not cause constipation
- What causes abdominal pain and constipation
- What causes pain and heaviness in chest along with constipation
- What causes constipation and stomach pain
- What causes pain in abdomenbelching and constipation
- What causes abdominal pain and constipation with headaches
- What causes chronic pelvic pain aggravated by constipation
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in foot from hip to toe
- Suggest treatment for gall bladder stones
- What causes pain and bleeding post rectocele repair surgery?
- Suggest treatment for gastritis
- What causes chest pain and abdominal pain?
- What does this ultrasonongraphy report indicate?
- What causes whitish color of outside of urethra?
- What causes skin growth on buttocks oozing pus?
- What does this EKG report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for darkened glans penis