• question-icon

What causes constipation while on Lactulose?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: After taking Linzess for a couple days along with a stool softner and i feel urge to go to the bathroom but why doesnt any stool come out?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Add a laxative like lactulose for 1 week.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HCM.
Linzess works by increasing intestinal fluid secretion, which helps ease the passage of stools and relieve the symptoms of constipation but you need a laxative to help you excrete softened stools.Laxative are substances that loosen stools and increase bowel movements.They irritates the intestinal mucosa hence causing expulsion of stools along with softening.

Initially i would recommend you to add a laxative like Lactulose 10 ml once daily before bed time for 1 week along with medicines you are on.
Follow up after a week if the problem still persists.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist