What causes constipation post hernia repair?

Posted on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 in General Health
Question: I am having severe pain when attempting to have a bowel movement straining does not seem to help passing the stool what should I do? I have added more water and fruit today but still am unable to have a movement this has been over the past 2 days I recently had stomach surgery for a hernia repair and was given Tylenol 3 for pain is that causing the constipation?
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glycerin suppository

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Post hernia repair on the abdomen this is expected and do not strain the stitches. The abdominal muscles help a lot contracting the colon and give a good bowel movement in a normal person. You cannot use them for BM now. Tylenol is not known to cause constipation but abdominal surgery is known to.

If you seem that the stool is stuck inside the rectum or colon it is better to use Glycerin suppository inside the rectum. This can help instantly. You can buy them over the counter and push it into the anus with the finger. This is a lubricating laxative that work by coating the surface of the stools to make them more slippery. If not you should go for enemia. I recommend this for people who has the feeling of rectum being full and unable to pass out.

Remember that any laxative cannot be used more than one week without doctors consult. Psyllium husk will add bulk to food and should be taken orally and slow doses and keep increasing, while Colace will soften the stool for easy pass out. You added water and fibre this should help if not you can opt lubricating laxative.

I hope this is useful and All the best. If you do not have any more queries please close our discussion

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam