What causes constipation in infants?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: my baby 6 weeks no motion past two days but frequently pass urine.
new born baby age 6 weeks only
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I completely understand your concerns but don't worry. Infants are prone to frequent changes in frequency, colour and consistency of poops. The frequency may range for several times a day to once in 5-6 days. If your baby is active, alert, feeding well and well hydrated, then don't worry about it. Similarly the frequency of urine also varies from once in 6 hours to 2-4 times in an hour. There is no need for treatment in most instances.

Poor feeding, crying excessively, persistent vomiting, abdominal distension not responding to burping, lethargy, crying excessively on urination, dehydration are signs of pathology which may need further evaluation and management.

At present, I would recommend you to continue regular feeds ( exclusive breastfeeding is best) to maintain hydration.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.