What causes constipation despite taking pills to help bowel movement?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Nov 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am taking fiber pills to help with bowel movement, but I haven't had a regular movement in several days. I'm concerned.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Proper life style modification required.

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

Thanks for query,

Initially I would say that have a practical approach as there is no magical formula.

Things will take time but they will help in long term. Not exercising enough, not drinking enough water and delaying a bowel movement can worsen things further.

So along with pills a proper life style modification has to be followed.

Your major food should consist of unrefined food such as whole grain cereals, honey and lentils; green leafy vegetables, like spinach, beans, lettuce, celery, asparagus, carrot.

Secondly human gastrointestinal tract is colonized by 1013-14 bacteria of 400 different species and subspecies. They are responsible for proper digestion of food.

Depletion of this flora due to surgery can lead to severe digestive problems.

1. Start taking a probiotic twice daily with fiber pills.
2. Eat 2 cups of fruit 3 cups of vegetables and about 35 grams of fiber per day.
3. Fruits: Generally all fruits, except banana and Jake fruit, are beneficial in the treatment of your problem
4. Take Fybogel husk-Fybogel sachets and Fybogel Hi-Fibre sachets.

Both contain the active ingredient Ispaghula husk, which is a type of medicine and is fully natural. It swells when it comes into contact with fluid in the gut and thus increases the volume of the faeces. You would feel change in a week.

5. Get a stool test done to rule out any bacterial or protozoal involvememt.

Hope I have answered your question.

Regards!

Dr. Ramesh Kumar,
Gastroenterologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj