What causes constipation after vaccination?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Dear Doctor, Thanks for your earlier question. On 28th my daughter(3 and 1/2 months) had her third dose of the vaccination
1. IPV
2. Rotatec
3.Synflorix
4.Quinvaxem

She didn't pooh the day before vaccination and has not passed it since then. Its almost 2 days that she has not poohed,this is the first time that she is undergoing such a long interval between passing the feces. Urination is normal.

She had fever because of vaccination for a day and we treated her with paracetamol liquid 5 ml as advised. Now every thing seems normal and there are no visible symptoms of any unease so far. My concern is when should we seek an expert advise and what medication could treat this. Is this related to vaccination?

XXXXXX
Mother
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not related to vaccination

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for a direct query and trust in me....

It is quite common for kids of this age to get constipated. We can wait till 7 days. You need to seek medical attention if she doesn't pass stool even after 7 days. But at this juncture you can do one thing. Boil water and cool it till it is warm enough to drink. Administer it a few sips to her. She will pass motion. But make sure you cool the boiling water in a clean container.

happy to help anytime. Please get back if you have any doubts in this.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What causes constipation after vaccination? 19 hours later
hello doctor, We tried giving water to our baby twice but it did not help so far. Can you please suggest a medicine for this condition. I also see the babys stomach is also bit stiff

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestion on Constipation

Detailed Answer:
HI...

There is a product called NEOTONE enema. In comes in a pack which can be inserted into the anus of even a new-born baby. There will be a bulb at the other end with a liquid in it. You need to gently insert the tip of the elongated end in to the anus and then press the other end bulb gently. Once the fluid goes in the baby will pass motion freely in another 10 minutes. Its very simple but when you are doing it for the 1st time you might feel jittery. So I suggest you get it done initially by a nurse with experience in paediatric patients or a paediatrician.

Please keep me posted on the proceedings.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.
www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696