• question-icon

What causes constant weakness, left-sided throat inflammation and depression

Posted on Fri, 22 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, I am 40, male, and I feel constantly weak every day, due to neck/throat inflammation on my left side, as well as hard throat which started around 5 years ago suddenly (no car accident or trauma). When I massage my neck, saliva gets passed up. It's as if I have a lot stuck there, but because my throat is very hard I can't release it... Since then, I suffer from depression and am on 20mg citalopram every morning, and I take sleeping tablets zolpidem 10mg every night. The depression came because one day maybe 5 years ago, I woke up and my throat was more closed, my neck hurt, I can't swallow so good and have very thick white saliva. This has never got better, no matter what medicines they give me. Only thing that worked was a small dose of steroids, but that only helped for a few days. I had MRI test on my throat/neck/sinus (no cancer or lumps found) and also regular blood test (nothing bad , no thyroid issues or anything too irregular). However, it feels like this stuffy/pain feeling in the back of my neck is causing me to feel more ill every day, tired, no energy, and I sometimes feel unstable too when I walk and had to take tablets for seasickness just to help with vertigo now. My Adam's apple and pipe (where breathing and food goes down) also seems very hard since the problem started 5 years ago. My body is fighting 'something' in my neck/head and this is making me weak day by day and ruining my life.... I stopped drinking, and stopped smoking, but still the same. Any ideas what else I can do/try tests, medicines etc?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rule out Eagle's Syndrome.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Besides the usual suspects, I recommend that you first get X-rays or a CT Scan to rule out Eagle's Syndrome. Also check the Jugular Foramen and cervical spine.

2. The elongates styloid process is not visible on an MRI.

3. Upload the images for further discussion.

4. Over 5 years, it has to be a benign cause.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist