What causes constant watery stool despite taking medication?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been having watery stool since morning. I would have gone 15 times till now. I have taken 2mg eldoper after food. Can I take another eldoper after 2 hrs.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please don't take ELDOPER any more..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX , Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

Now the first and foremost thing is to stop Eldoper immediately.. You seem to have Acute Infective Gastroenteritis(most probably a stomach bug) , drugs like Eldoper will cause nothing but further worsening, so do not take it any more !!

One ORS won't do any good, specially when you've gone 15 times till now..

Follow the advises :

Most important is Water, take only Mineral water for the time being, even R.O line is not fully reliable in this kind of conditions..

Take WHO-ORS 1 XXXXXXX , dissolve it in 1 Ltr of Mineral water , drink it up gradually over 1-2 hr.. then dissolve another XXXXXXX in another 1 Ltr of Mineral Water and drink it up over next 4-5 Hrs, followed by another XXXXXXX dissolved in another Ltr of mineral water and drink that up over next 12 hrs..

Cap RECECADOTRIL(REDOTIL) 100 mg Three times daily for next 2-3 days - till motion frequency reduces ..

Tab METRONIDAZOLE 400 mg Three times daily for next 10 days..
Tab OFLOXACIN 200 mg Two times daily for next 10 days..

Try to check the temperature and if it's more than 100 Degree Fahrenheit then you may take Tab PARACETAMOL 650 mg after food for up to three times a day..

Cap PANTOPRAZOLE 40 mg Once Daily 15-20 min before breakfast for next 10 days..

Take natural probiotics like yogurt, it'll soothe your gut..

Try to stay at home rested for the next few days till full recovery..

Don't eat any outside food, simple home cooked soft diet will be best suited for you now..

Start the rehydration therapy at the earliest and if you still feel that frequency of motion is not controlling in the next 5-6 hours along with dizziness or any other problems, then it's better not to delay any more and rush to your nearest ER/urgent care for Intravenous therapy as per requirement which'll also prevent any metabolic damages also..

Let me know how you stay in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 20 hours later
Hello doctor. Thank you for the timely response. I started taking the medication as advised and the loose motions stopped however i have a headache and heat in the body. Not feverish but heat. I feel i have to goto the stool but i cant go. Its constipated.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the Advises..

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Welcome back,

Thanks for following up,

It's not constipation, your gut is still hyperactive while body trying to get bounced back to normalcy with the help of medications, that's why you're experiencing this symptom..

Nothing to worry as it'll take a while to get recovered..

You must continue both the antibiotics as I've already advised and finish the full course of 10 days..

The heat, headache are indicating that you're still not adequately hydrated..

Drink lot of mineral water to compensate with the acute dehydration, at 5-6 Ltr per day for the next 2-3 days..

You may reduce the dose of RECECADOTRIL to twice daily for today and once daily for tomorrow then stop..

Don't strain yourself for motion, let the body recover fully..meanwhile maintain the diet habits as I've already mentioned..

Take Care
Kind Regards