• question-icon

What causes constant watery diarrhea?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: This question is for a 62 year old female who has had watery diarrhea for one month. The diarrhea is slightly better when fasting and much worse after a meal. She has tried increasing fiber in her diet by taking psyllium husk supplements but this has had a very minor effect. She has no history of recent antibiotic use.
She is currently traveling and will schedule an appointment with her doctor when she returns for any necessary tests. In the meanwhile, she has visited a GP in Dubai who has recommended a trial of antibiotics.
Can you please give us your advice on which antibiotic would be the best to use in this situation? Please mention dosage and duration as well.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rifaximin , VSL#3

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

There are many different causes for diarrhea that continues for more than a month.
Antibiotics may not be effective in all cases. Did you GP tell you the reason for diarrhoea?
A thorough evaluation is needed before planning treatment.
Till she undergoes evaluation, she can take TAB Rifaximin thrice a day after food and Cap VSL#3 (probiotic) for 2 weeks with water. However your GP who examined should prescribe you this.
Hope this is clear before you get the evaluation.

Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
Thank you, doctor. Is there sufficient evidence for the use of probiotics? Apart from evidence, how about your own personal experience with patients? I ask because there are mixed reviews on the benefits of probiotics and the cost is quite high.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probiotics Effective.

Detailed Answer:
With my experiences and in my patients I find probiotics to be very effective. Evidences are also reasonably favorable in these cases.
I think you can consider them.
Dr.R.K.
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist