What causes constant urge to urinate and lower abdominal spasms?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Yes Hi, I am experiencing tenderness and twinging spasms from the lower back which I do have a slipped disc but its been ok lately until the last two weeks I got the spasms in my lower stomach, especially when I stand or walk. I thought it was a simple IBS but now i get both in back and stomach. No fever or chills or general sickness, just uncomfortable. I was recently diagnosed with Diverticulosis and given Flagyl and Cipro. However I just want to mention, I have been under more stress than lately and I react to it by ecezema outbreaks and nervousness, for I did get some xanax while back and didn't even take much, I wanted to control it myself. However, I take Robaxin for muscle spasms as well. It helps some and the other day seem not to do much. I then took a half of xanax and got more relief than have in the last few days. Now I still get spasms in lower stomach and want to know if this is a symptom of the diverticulosis or a muscle spasm in general. I have an abdominal hernia I never had fix because they told me it was small and just watch it. I go to the bathroom ok. I also have very very small fibroids and same answer, they wont do anything cause they are small. Do you think I should get some sonogram first or a test since I will be going to doctor tomorrow and ask him. I have 6 months ago a ct scan which showed those things and everything else at that time was ok. I think I have it still in my profile. I would like to get your insight on what to look for with these spasms. Its always lower under my stomach fold. I don't have any bad pain just this tenderness and spasmatic annoyance.I also urinate frequently as well.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diverticulosis vs uterine fibroid

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic.

Your symptoms like frequent urinary urge and sense of fullness in lower abdomen seems more likely to fit in the pressure symptoms caused by fibroid.

Your query regarding whether to get an ultrasonogram in next visit is relevant, as it has been 6 months since last detailed work up and if it is causing the symptoms you mentioned, it might have been increasing in size and in that case a surgical excision might be needed.

As far as, diverticulosis is concerned, in absence of fibroid size increase that can be evaluated further but in abscence of symptoms of alternating Bowel habbits or blood in stool only spasms are less likely to fit in without these accompanying symptoms. But to be sure, a colonoscopy can be next step of evaluation if fibroid are still too small to cause the pressure symptoms.

Final verdict can be given after new scans and blood tests for malabsorption symptoms or any evidence of microscopic loss of blood in stools.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. If you dont have any more questions, please close the discussion. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 days later
Thank you so much, yes I think its fibroid too, cause I went to doctor and he said he didnt think too much divirticulosis either and no uti because been on cipro but he thinks the spasms are related regardless of back, because it looks like its localized lower as I say, beneath the belly fold. My question is I can take another sonogram but if they don,t want to operate causethe fibroid may havent grown much, their small, I think the way its position regardless of size can still be a nuisance, (frequent urination and spasms) so would lazer or anyother invasive procedure be another option to me?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeat the ultrasound and discus for surgical options

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the followup details and keeping me in the loop.

Actually repeating ultrasound to compare size increase would be a good strategy. It will gives some idea that whether and when to go for the surgery.

Other options involve different techniques if surgeries but bottom line is to remove the uterus if family is complete and no further desire to conceive exist. These techniques involve laproscopic surgeries with different approaches varrying between transvaginal to transabdominal approaches.

The abscence of per vaginal excessive bleeding is a good sign but still the pressure symptoms does evoke the need of surgical removal of uterus.

Hope this has answered your query. Hoping you a speedy recovery. Regards.