What causes constant twitching of left eye?

Posted on Mon, 12 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: my left eye has been continuously twitching for 3-4 months,what should i do?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Eye twitching could be because of eye irritation or eye dryness.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome to health care magic,

It seems that you are having twitching of left eye associated with eye irritation or eye dryness.

Twitching of the eye is caused by spasmodic contractions of orbicularis oculi muscle.

The muscle is supplied by facial nerve and the causes for facial nerve irritation leading to twitching of the eyes are reflex stimulation as in irritating eye conditions like,

1) dry eyes,
2) exposure of eyes to wind,
3) excessive use of computers or watching television,
4) presence of dust on conjunctiva or cornea,
5) infections and inflammations of structures of eyes....

The non ocular causes leading to irritation of facial nerve are,

1) lack of sleep,
2) ENT causes.

Hence I advice you to use artificial tears eye drops like 'Refresh tears' eye drops for eye irritation.

If there is associated redness and discharge from the eyes you also require antibiotic eye drops like ciprofloxacin or moxifloxacin eye drops for 2 to 3 times daily instillation.

Along with the above mentioned eye drops you need to follow the following methods for relief from symptoms.

1) Wash the eyes with normal water twice a day.
2) Apply cold compression over closed eye lids.
3) Avoid overuse of computers or television.
4) Adequate sleep and avoid sleepless long working nights.
5) Having a healthy and balanced diet with all the required vitamins.

If still eye twitching persists even after above treatment then you should see nearby eye specialist for further advise.

Hope this detailed information is helpful to you.

Thanks and Regards,

Dr.Sandip
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 35 hours later
1-can you name the drop artificial eye tear you recommended ?
2-can you please suggest magnesium rich tablets..?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As follows.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

1) Refresh tear eye drops which I have already mentioned in my previous answer.

Use 2 or 3 drops in both eyes 3 or 4 times daily to prevent eye dryness and irritation.

2) Mag-ox or Uro- mag capsules (400) for magnesium supplements or it also available by its generic name 'magnesium oxide' in almost all pharmacy.

Hope this answered your query and if you need more help then feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sandip Kabra