What causes constant thick white mucus discharge in the mouth?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have very white thick mucous in my mouth all the time ..it accumulates during the night. I am well and have no nasal discharge or cough but I must wipe my mouth all day long. It's driving me crazy! My pulmonologist says it's from my nose but there is NO NASAL DISCHARGE!!!! Antihistamines a have no effect. I have a calcified nodule in my lungs and one stable non-calcified one. I have a small breathing problm
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consider adding a decongestant

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

I can only imagine how frustrating that must be.

Mucus in the mouth is commonly related to the nasal passages as suggested by your doctor and in some cases the mucus does not come out through the nose but passes backwards to the posterior aspect

The antihistamine would need to be combined with a decongestant (though there is no nasal congestion). The decongestant helps to reduce the secretion.

In addition the use of medication such as montelukast or ketotifen can be helpful. These medications work at different points in the body's inflammatory response.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 days later
Please tell me about the drugs you mentioned:montelukast and ketotifen.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
blocks the action of leukotrienes

Detailed Answer:
HI

Montelukast is a leukotriene antagonist-- this means that it blocks leukotrienes, it prevents them from having an effect on the body.
Leukotrienes are made from one type of white blood cells. White bloods cells play a role in the body's immune system.

The type of white blood cells is called a mast cell and it releases the leukotrienes and the leukotrienes then act to stimulate or worsen the allergic or inflammatory response.

IF leukotrienes can be blocked, then this would reduce inflammtion/allergies in some persons.
Montelukast BLOCKS the leukotrienes

KETOTIFEN- acts as both an antihistamine and also stabilizes mast cells. Mast cells release leukotrienes and other chemicals that play a role in inflammation.
By stabilizing the mast cell, you can prevent the release of these problem chemicals