• question-icon

What causes constant swelling in the feet, calves and hands?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have continual swelling of my feet, calves and hands and over the counter diarrhetics don't help. Previously I was on prescription diarrhetics which helped and was taken off of them. When symptoms returned doctor sent me to a cardiologist which found nothing wrong. Swelling is effecting me and preventing me from exercising and causing tenderness in my feet.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If no cardiac causes then usually a vascular cause , elevation and compression stockings and gentle massaging is effective in most of cases .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using HealthcareMagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

I hope you feel better soon , usually when the swelling in the feet is bilateral the cause of the swelling is due to a systemic cause mostly cardiac so if your cardiologist found nothing wrong then it could be due to a vascular or blood flow injury .
Doppler U/S on both your lower limbs vascular system is highly diagnostic if there is a minor clot that interferes the blood flowing back towards the heart . elevation , compression bandaging , icing is helpful in decreasing swelling in the feet . sometimes the venous system is obstructed by DVT ( Deep Vein Thrombosis ) which may cause dangerous complications if present .
For my patients i recommend elevation ,compression , advil tabs as an anti-inflammatory and analgesic agent when needed , gentle massaging with topical anti-inflammatory gels will be effective for most of cases .
If the swelling persists i recommend further investigations and follow them up with your physician for proper evaluation and management .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon