What causes constant stomach pain?

Posted on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 in Child Health
Question: Since December 2014 (approximately two months now) my 2.5 year old son will complain of a tummy ache. He continues to eat, drink, play etc. Some times it occurs three to four times a day then he will go two or three days without saying anything. When should I seek out his doctor? At what point should I be worried? This morning he kept saying it on the way to daycare but was up and playing and eating. He was even whining a little when saying it. I am leaning towards constipation as he hasn't had a bowel movement in 48 hours but the other day he said it right after having a bowel movement.
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tummy ache

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
The fact that the symptoms have not interfered what is everyday life is a good sign. It means, essentially, that we don't have to worry to much about this. The most common reason for this thing is complete to persistent it does is constipation and you mentioned.
I understand you use probiotic, and apple juice. I typically recommend adding a fiber supplement to the diet. Where r number of fiber supplements how to her better taste list. I generally begin with 1 tablespoon twice per day. This could be added to anything he eats or drinks, he will most likely not even know that in there. This can decrease the cramping which is most likely because it is complaint. If after adding fiber define improvement but not enough improvement, we can always add more. It's on the other hand he's going to the bathroom to frequently, we can always decrease the amount. In any case, this is a good place to starttypically recommend adding a fiber supplement to the diet. There are a number of fiber supplements in powder form that are tasteless. I generally begin with 1 tablespoon twice per day. This could be added to anything he eats or drinks, he will most likely not even know that it's in there. This can decrease the cramping which is most likely the cause of his complaint. If after adding fiber we find improvement but not enough improvement, we can always add more. If on the other hand he's going to the bathroom too frequently, we can always decrease the amount. In any case, this is a good place to start.

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician