What causes constant stomach pain in a child?

Posted on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 in Child Health
Question: My daughter who is 4 years old has been complaining about stomach pain since last 4-5 days. Today also she has the same complain. She had 99.4 fever and has vomited once....little loss of appetite as well is visible. Pls advice.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your daughter's problem seems to be due to gastritis. The stomach acid could have caused the problems.

In order to relieve her, you need to make her do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Giver her Nexpro Junior XXXXXXX once daily before breakfast.
* Give her some antiemetic like ondansetron.
* Give her plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular play forfor at 1 hour a day to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.

Let me know if that helps.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 10 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. She had similar problem 20 days ago wherin she had fever and then vomiting and severe dihorea. She was treated with antibiotics. She already has lots of fibre in her food like oats,barley, daliya etc. She never had any stomach problem earlier.

What food is advisable to her during her current sickness ?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bland diet preferred but no specific recommendation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.It is preferable to avoid spicy food and chillies (which I assume that you avoid anyway). There is no other specific recommendation related to food.

Give her ORS (oral rehydration solution) to make up for the fluid and salts lost due to vomiting and diarrhea.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician