• question-icon

What causes constant soreness in the puncture wound despite taking medication?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Infections
Question: Stepped on a very old rusty nail july 3, I cleaned the wound and went to clinic July 5 and got tetanus shot and round of cipro. Today the wound is almost completely closed. But it is still sore and has a knot in it under the skin. How long does it take to heal completely and will this knot go away
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
part of the body's inflammatory's response

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The soreness should be decreasing even if only slightly, if it is exactly the same or worsening then you may need to see your doctor to rule out lingering infection.

In terms of the knot, this is is part of the body's inflammatory response to trauma. The knot is due to the formation of scar tissue under the site of trauma.

It will decrease in time but in some cases, this can unfortunately take weeks to months. The use of anti inflammatory medication such as naproxen or ibuprofen would help if you can use one of these

One of these medications would help to decrease the discomfort and may help modify the inflammatory response associated with the formation of the knot.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James