What causes constant sneezing and runny nose despite taking medication?

Question
I've been sneezing and had a runny nose for 2 weeks.
Alergy and cold medicine dose nothing.
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
add a decongestant, singulair or ketotifen, may need allergy tests

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Sneezing and runny nose , as you stated are usually due to either allergies or the cold/flu, with allergies being more likely since the cold would not normally last for this length of time without the symptoms decreasing.

If you are consistently exposed to whatever you are allergic to or whatever is stimulating your allergies then the medication would not fully work as it should.

TREATMENT---(1)add a decongestant to the antihistamine by using claritine d and also using a topical decongestant such as normal saline drops

(2)consider adding meds such as singulair or ketotifen. These work differently than antihistamines. They block different aspects of the allergy response.

(3)it would be best, if possible , to avoid any allergens if they are known. If you do not know what they are then allergy testing may be appropriate. This can be in the form of blood tests or skin prick testing.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: What causes constant sneezing and runny nose despite taking medication? 14 hours later
Now I started coughing real bad last night.
Still have a runny nose and freezing cold.
Don't think it is an allergy now.
What else could it be?
Would I start coughing with an allergy?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can occur due to irritation of the airway

Detailed Answer:
HI

Coughing can occur with allergies because there can be irritation of the airway but if you were really cold, this means that you may have an infection now as well or an infection restarting.

Chills occur with a fever even if you don't feel overly warm

A cough suppressant added to your current meds may help eg robitussin but you may want to consider seeing your doctor for assessment since your symptoms are worsening

if there is anything else, can let me know