What causes constant rectal pressure and defecation urge sensation?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: Hi I am a 40 year old female for the past three weeks I have been experiencing a strange rectal tightness almost like a constant urge to have a bm I have no other symptoms no blood no weight loss or pain could I be experiencing a hemroid at times my rectal area does itch I was also diagnosed as having ibs a few years back could this be a manifestation of ibs I have an anxiety disorder and find my mind going towards rectal cancer
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety - IBS can be the main reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate self-explanatory history.
To recapitulate: Female/40 - diagnosed IBS few years ago - anxiety disorder - find the mind going towards rectal cancer - strange rectal tightness like constant urge to have BM - at times rectal area itches - no other symptoms - wants to know whether this is hemorrhoids or cancer ...
My thoughts:
As per the detailed history you have provided, this can be procto-colitis of mild form or in fact IBS got active due to anxiety.
I would advise you the following:
- Get the stool test done.
- Control of the anxiety state. In fact this is very important and part of the treatment. You may please discuss this with your Family Physician/PCP to get an appropriate medication that will be effective for anxiety as well as your Symptoms.
- Any additional treatment as per the stool reports like antibiotic, metronidazole if indicated by the symptoms and stool report.
- See the results. If these medications alleviate your symptoms, nothing more needs to be done other than control of your anxiety.
- Also make a list of foods and beverages and the conditions that instigated or enhance your symptoms and avoid them altogether- this too is a part of treatment.
- If there is no complete relief, get an appointment for colonoscopy and further tests under the guidance of a Gastroenterologist and get treated properly as per the findings.
Till the investigations are not done, why to worry about something that may not be there. Reduce the anxiety.

I hope this answer helsp you. Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 10 minutes later
Thanks for the reply I am out of the country will return in 3 weeks is there something I can do to relieve discomfort until I get home and see Dr
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As discussed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
Since you are out of country for 3 more weeks I would advise you the following:
- Take the anti-anxiety or IBS medication if you have.
- If you can see a local Doctor in the country you are in and tell him the history as we are discussing, it is possible to get a few prescription based medication and get a proper relief to have comfortable life.
Which country you are in at the moment.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 3 minutes later
Once again thank you for your timely response I am in Italy
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.

Detailed Answer:
You can certainly get to see a Doctor, just ask around to know and get a Family Physician sort of a Doctor to get a prescription.
...
You may please rate this answer before closure of the discussion and can certainly contact me on the bellow link in future, whenever you may need me.
http://bit.ly/askdrtchandrakant