What causes constant popping sound in the head of a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 4 year keeps complaining about his head is popping...I asked him to describe the sound he says "boom"....,"boom". Its not an ear infection...should i be wor
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Exploding head syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your child seems to be having 'Exploding Head Syndrome', a sleep-related dissociative disorder

The following links should be helpful for you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome
http://www.sleepeducation.org/sleep-disorders-by-category/parasomnias/exploding-head-syndrome/overview-facts

You should take the child to a neurologist and get him evaluated. Based on the intensity of symptoms or presence of sleep deprivation the doctor can tell if interventions are necessary.