What causes constant phlegm in throat?

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello,

I am xxxx - 29 year old ... I have a strange problem - I always have phlegm in my throat whether it is summer or winter - no cold/cough but always feel something stuck in my throat. I have tried hot water gargles, mouthwash but nothing seems to work .. at times I sense a bitter saliva due to this phlegm and also bad odour. Is this normal? any remedies for it?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to consult an ENT doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for the query.

I can understand your concern.

Constant irritation in the throat causing you to clear throat regularly and phlegm in the throat is indicative of possible allergy/irritation due to smoke/pollution or gastroesophageal regurgitation.

It could also be due to low grade chronic infection/inflammation of the tonsils or the pharynx.

The best thing to do is to consult an ENT surgeon and get yourself looked at, it is not possible to find the exact nature of the problem without visually examining the throat.

As a precaution, you should stop smoking, if you do. Cover your mouth and nose when you go out/ride a bike so that pollutants and smoke do not enter and irritate your throat.

As for the bitter saliva, it is significant because bitterness is almost always due to bile regurgitation, if it was only gastric contents, then it would have been sour and not bitter, this could also cause irritation of the throat and causes you to clear the throat regularly and will give you a feeling of something stuck in your throat.

And bad breath (halitosis) is a result of this regurgitation.

You will need to change your dietary habits, eat plenty of green leafy vegetables, eat less oily and fried foods, drink plenty of water, do not go to sleep immediately after dinner, walk around for some time and go to bed only after 2 to 4 hours after eating. Keep two pillows(keep head end elevated while sleeping).

Finally, you should also consult a gastroenterologist or an internal medicine specialist to correct the gastroesophageal reflux through medication.

I sincerely hope to have addressed your concern, please feel free to write back to me if you have any doubts.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D