Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
146 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes constant pain in the groin area?

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 12002 Questions

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have what appears to be a groin tear but my GP hasn't diagnosed. He hasn't said what is causing all of the pain. I would like a referral to another doctor, a specialist. Is this an orthopedic specialist?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle sprain likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
I am an orthopedician and will address your problem today.
A pain in the groin with a normal CAT scan is suggestive of a muscle spasm or a minor muscle strain. It usually needs rest for the pain to reduce. Avoid all painful movements. Doing a hot compress in the area will help. Start taking mild pain killers after meals. In case the pain is persistent then do consult an orthopedician and get oral muscle relaxants prescribed for a relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

The accident happened more than 2 weeks ago with persistent pain. I do take mild pain killers.

Do you think this should require a visit with an orthopedician?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
For persistent pain do get an MRI scan done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
If the pain is persistent for more than 2 weeks then it is best to consult an orthopedician and get an MRI scan done to rule out any tendon or labral tear.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Labral tear

doctor1 MD

I have a hip labral tear that is mildly symptomatic that I elected not to have surgery on with mild arthritis . I am currently taking 1500 mg of...

doctor1 MD

What is a laba tear on the hips? I'm not sure of the word "Laba". I wasn't sure of the pronunciation.

doctor1 MD

I'm having some discomfort in my abdomen on the right side. Nothing terrible, nothing that wakes me up at night, just some discomfort. It's been...