What causes constant pain in right side of head?

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: hi .. my wife is having headache since 3-4 days in the right side of the head till neck . Please provide me any advice ... what might be the reason along with its remediation.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I would like to know few more details
Does she feel nausea when she gets pain?
Has she ever felt same kind of pain in the past?
Is she having any other symptoms like cold,fever,cough,sore throat?
Is she taking any medication?
Has she done any recent blood tests like hemoglobin and others?
Any history of illness or head injury?

According to your symptoms provided in query it could be Migraine or tension headache.
Meantime I would suggest her Ibuprofen 400 mg for pain.

Kindly revert back to me with details.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 26 minutes later
hi .. she has migraine but she has never felt such kind of continious pain in right side of head .. till neck. she is not having any other symptoms like fever , cold etc. also no head injury. No recent blood test ..
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advised Ibuprofen.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for your information.

It could be mostly migraine.Some times irregular diet or stress or anemia can increase the intensity of pain.
I would suggest you Ibuprofen 400 mg for pain and It can be repeated when she gets pain.
If she will not feel after 2 days of medication I would suggest you visit a neurologist for clinical examination and for anti migraine medication like triptans, beta blockers.

Additionally I would also suggest you get blood tests like hemoglobin and other tests like thyroid.
If she is taking any contraceptive pills then she needs to stop the medication which worsens pain.
Drink plenty of water.Avoid exposure to light which can increases pain.
Do not skip breakfast and meals.Skipping meals can increases pain.
Get enough sleep.
Avoid stress and tension.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you.