What causes constant pain after spinal fusion surgery?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 17 Jun 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am 2 years post UCDF 3-5, corpectomy 4, with previous ucdf 5-6. I have constant pain and increased pain with movement. I have Horner's Syndrome on the left side of my face. I have recently started having a slight tingle on my right cheek. T
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cheek tingling not related to spinal conditions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Pain after spinal fusion surgery is a relatively common issue that needs treatment with antineuralgic drugs to be controlled.

Horner's syndrome may result from damage of sympathetic nerves during their pathway in the neck, so, cervical spine changes that may be related to cervical spine surgery too, may explain it.

Tingling in the right cheek area is probably related to trigeminal nerve dysfunction or compression and is not related to cervical spine damage or surgery.

It is necessary for a neurological evaluation and for imaging studies such head and brain MRI to be done, in order to achieve a correct understanding of your condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T