What causes constant numbness in the fingers?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have continuous numbness in my left 2 fingers in my left hand . I am 69 yo .
I had "cell phone type" vibrations in my chest 6 mo ago and suspended caffeine.
My dad had a heart attack at 63.my mom lived to 100
I am not taking any meds.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are not cardiac related.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms are not related to any cardiac disorders.

The numbness in these fingers is typical of ulnar nerve compression in the ulnar groove in the elbow (a pinched nerve) probably during a wrong position of the arm.

There is nothing to worry about!

I would just recommend extend your arm for a while and do not press on it.

If the problem persists, I recommend consulting with a neurologist and performing a nerve conduction study (electroneurography) to examine this nerve.

It is not related to the past cell phone vibration in your chest. They are related to anxiety. I agree with your decision on stopping caffeine intake as it seems to trigger them.

Anyway, there is no reason to panic about your heart!

Considering your age and family history, I would just recommend periodic check ups by your GP every 12 months ( resting ECG, cardiac ultrasound, a chest X Ray study and blood lab tests).

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me again!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana