What causes constant metallic taste in the mouth while on Viibryd?

Dr. Rudina Balliu

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I hàve had a terrible, metallic taste in my mouth for months. I have gained 20plus pounds because I eat to abate the taste. Now I have no energy and sweat from very little effort. I have consulted with 9 different medical professionals, but no one knows what is wrong.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible Viibryd side effect

Detailed Answer:
Hello ! Thank you for using HealthcareMagic.
I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern.

I think it could be a side effect of the Viibryd.

Vilazodone (Viibryd ) belongs to antidepressant group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) that may cause as a side effect metallic taste in the mouth and sweating.

Since your already in the weaning phase off that, (under supervision of your treating doctor), these symptoms will go away.

Also I'd suggest to check your blood sugar, sweating and tiredness could be cause of hypoglycemia sometimes and check your thyroid hormone levels to rule out any under active thyroid .

Hope I have answered your question.
Let me know if you need any further clarifications.
Take Care !
Dr Balliu.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee