What causes constant lower abdominal pain and stomach upset?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: For 3-4 days I am having constant pain in the left side of my lower abdominal. I feel it while walking, stretching and bending. My stomach is also upset.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably colitis. Please give details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Male/30 - constant pain in left lower side of abdomen - 3 to 4 days - feel it white walking, stretching and bending - stomach is also upset... not visited a Doctor nor taken any medicines ...

Please give some additional information for me to assist you better:
- How are the bowel movements/stool?
- Any bloating, nausea, vomiting?
- Any urinary complaints?
- Any bulge in the left power abdomen that increases on coughing or increase in intra-abdominal pressure?

If the stomach is upset and you have constant pain in the left lower abdomen, the most probable reason is colitis, meaning inflammation of the large bowel in this area. If the inflammation is more, you can have constant pain that increase on walking, stretching and bending.

I hope this answer helps you, please ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Thanks doctor,

- How are the bowel movements/stool?
Not good, watery and not on schedule. Not exactly loose motion but initial stage of that only. Suddenly feel urgency to go to the loo but very less motion comes out.

-- Any bloating, nausea, vomiting?
No
- Any urinary complaints?
No problem, but its on a yellowish side.

No bulge but pain increases while coughing or increase in intra-abdominal pressure.

What medication/cure should I take?

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tests and prescription based medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear friend.
Thanks for your feedback.
This looks to be colitis causing you all the symptoms.
I would advise yo the following in such a situation:Send the sample of stool for lab tests, blood tests for routine and liver functions too; Urine tests for routine and bile salts and pigments (as it is yellow).
Consult your Doctor to get a clinical evaluation, examination and further tests if necessary.
Get started on proper course of an antibiotic, metronidazole as you need a valid prescription.
Add on probiotics and activated charcoal.
Take soft bland diet, banana and curds.
Antispasmodic tablets when pain is more.

This will help you.