• question-icon

What causes constant high blood pressure despite taking medication?

Posted on Fri, 4 Nov 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello,
My wife has high blood pressure and this past week we have taken her to the ER twice as her bp was 212/92, this past Saturday it spiked to 221/122.The er doctor ran ECG , ECR, did blood workup, all looking pretty normal. Our pri. dr. has her on Lisinopril 10mg. She was seen by him this pastWed. and she was somewhat normal. He said to take an extrs dose of lisinopril if her bp went hi again. So far it has not, the average being i38/74-168/40,and a low of93/68. What would be yor opinion?. Thank you.
XXXXXXX XXXX

The second bp spike was 221/112, not 221/221
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that her symptoms could be related to the urinary tract infection. Besides ciproflaxacine can cause a raise in blood pressure.

Anyway these blood pressure spikes are really concerning and can not be explained by the above mentioned causes.

From the other hand her average blood pressure values (138-164mm Hg) indicate a poor control of her blood pressure.

So I agree with your doctor advice on raising the dose of lisinopril to 20mg daily.

You should know that every change in blood pressure therapy, needs up to a week to achieve a new blood pressure equilibrium.

So, I would advise you to closely monitor her blood pressure during the next week and if her blood pressure values are still not under control (even after stopping ciprofloxacine and taking 20mg lisinopril), further changes to her actual therapy may be needed.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 16 hours later
dear dr. sharka,
thank you very much for you input concerning my wife's fluctuating bp. I agree with you answer. right now she is in a stabilized period. we are going to visit her dr. today or tomorrow for further consultation. I agree with you that her uti has a lot to do with her bp, also the Cipro. again, thank you very much for your help which I appreciate very much.
sincerely,
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Best wishes!

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist